A special "Thank You!" to Marie-Paule Nogue.
On Friday, June 23, 2017, Marie-Paule Nogue sent the following information regarding St. Vincent Catholic Church in Beaucens, France.
Auguste “Nonco” Pelafigue (1888-1977) was baptized in what was referred to above as “the old church” as this one was completed in 1889 and Nonco and his family came to the USA in 1889.
The Church today in a few words: A single nave, 2 side chapels, semicircular apse, an area of 244 m², a side on the North Chapel square bell tower, a novel false porch flanked by columns, a sacristy in the chapel on the left, symmetrical to the altar of the Virgin, Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Bedouret representative stained glass, St. Elizabeth, St. John the Evangelist, St. Joseph, St. John the Baptist, St. Sebastian, St. Thérèse and the center of the main altar, under glass, a Madonna and Child in polychrome wood, Our Lady of Bedouret
First, a little history: The village of Beaucens still possessed at the end of the nineteenth century a Romanesque church on the top of the village.
1872: Beaucens Council was invited by the sub-prefect of Argelès ' to arrange to make repairs required by the poor state of the Church." The restoration of the old church is becoming urgent.
1879: City Council acquires of land to build a new Church.
1881: Monseigneur Jourdan, then Bishop of Tarbes, authorizes by written agreement this construction.
1888: For several years, the exercises of worship are held in a barn in the village. By deliberation of the municipal Council, the authorization is given to demolish the Church and build a new one with the same materials. The construction began in 1889 and ends with the Bell Tower in 1900.